Are you promoting your iOS app through Google Ads? If so, you can use Google Ads to track how many times a user has installed an app so you know the success rate.
While Google Ads doesn’t track iOS app data directly, you can access that data by adding Firebase to your app and then linking your Firebase account to Google Ads.
Read this TipsSeo to learn how to track the number of users who have installed your iOS app through Google Ads by combining Firebase’s event tracking technology with Google Ads conversion tracking.
1. Register your app with Firebase. If Firebase hasn’t been added to your app yet, it’s not too late. Go to the Firebase homepage at https://firebase.google.com/ in a web browser and click “Create Project”.
After filling in the required fields, add your custom iOS app to the new project by clicking the round “iOS ” button below the project name.
Complete your application registration through Firebase by entering the required information.
- Set up Firebase using the same account associated with Google Ads.
2. Add Firebase to your app. Add Firebase to your app code so that Firebase can collect install data.
- First you need to add the Firebase config file which can be found by clicking Download GoogleService-Info.plist .
- After that, you need to add Google Analytics to your app via the Firebase SDK.
3. Add app installs as events in Firebase. After completing the first two steps, Firebase automatically tracks certain events related to your app, such as first open or in-app purchases .
The installation will not be tracked automatically. However, you can add an event by sharing a Firebase event log setup link with a developer. The link is below the event description.
4. Mark the new event as a conversion. On the Firebase project page, click Analytics , then click Events . For your app’s install event, enable ” Mark as Conversion”. Marking an event as a conversion allows Google Ads to track the install of that app as a link to an ad campaign.
5. Link your Google Ads account to your Firebase project. On a Firebase project page created specifically for the app, use the gear icon to navigate to the project settings page.
Select the Integrations tab , hover over the Google Play box, and click Link. A message appears with information about linking the accounts and confirming the action. Click ” Google Play Link “.
6. Go to the iOS App Conversions page in your Google Ads account. Sign in to Google Ads and click ” Tools” (the wrench icon in the top right corner). In the drop-down menu that appears, under ” Dimension ” select ” Transformation ” .
7. Import these setup events from Firebase. At this point, a table with past conversions that you tracked will appear on the screen.
- Click the plus sign in the top left corner of the table, then select the conversion type you want to add to the tracking table. Click on the application and select ” Google Analytics 4 (Firebase) Properties” from the multiple choice menu. Google Ads will prompt you to select the Firebase conversions you want. Select the application install event, then click ” Import and Continue “.